11:15 am - 1:00 pm
To help local businesses understand this issue and better protect themselves, the Above Board Chamber of Florida has assembled a group of expert panelists for this month’s luncheon seminars that will take place on Thursday, May 13 in Fort Myers and online via Zoom.
By attending this seminar, “The Legal Differences and Tax Ramifications of Hiring an Employee vs. an Independent Contractor,” business leaders will learn guidelines to help determine whether hiring a new employee or using an independent contractor is best for their company’s needs. Our panel of experts will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of both, as well as the responsibilities of a business owner.
The panel will also review new and existing laws and explain the nuances involved when creating relationships with independent contractors. This seminar will help attendees better understand:
– the differences between an employee and an independent contractor;
– your rights and responsibilities as a business owner;
– what withholdings are needed for employees;
– the burden if you misclassify a worker or don’t correctly withhold or pay the required amounts;
– the degree of control the employer has– or doesn’t have– with employees and contractors; and
– how to protect you and your business from being fined and incurring tax penalties.
Fort Myers panelists include:
- Tracy Pyles, Senior Managing Attorney at Lee Health,
- Kevin Ruane, Lee County Commissioner and President of Castleton Mortgage,
- Mindy LaCroix, President of Minette L. La Croix, CPA PA and
- Suzanne M. Boy, Esq., Founding Member at Boy Agnew Potanovic, PLLC
Events can be attended in person or via Zoom. In-person registration for either seminar is $33 for members and $35 for non-members. Zoom registration for either seminar is $10 regardless of chamber membership.