5 Social Media Mistakes Small Business Owners Must Avoid
Small business owners who are entering the world of social media can take one of two roads: achieve marketing success or fall into the common traps.
While it’s essential to have a strong social media presence, it’s also important to avoid the pitfalls that many brands experience in the social space. Business owners might feel pressured to post constantly, or might feel like they’re using each platform incorrectly.
This is the perfect time to stop, take a breath and remember the five common social media mistakes to dodge:
- Don’t react, act. New business owners should never act without a strategic plan. Make sure to define your goals and outline how you will achieve them.
- Quality over quantity. An account with over 10,000 followers is impressive but it means nothing if they’re not quality leads. It’s more beneficial to have a valuable audience that connects with your message and product.
- Don’t settle. Designing, curating and writing quality content can become overwhelming. It’s better to only create a few remarkable posts than overload your social platform with too many “ok” posts that do not meet the necessary criteria to reach your intended audience.
- Copying the competition. Sometimes it’s easy to glance over your shoulder at the competition for ideas but it’s important to change that mindset. Every business is unique and that should reflect across your social media platforms. Who do you want to engage with? What do you want to tell your audience? What resources do you have to tell inimitable stories? Answer those questions and don’t worry about what everyone else is doing.
- Ignoring the results. Don’t do it. It’s easy to feel like the job is done after posting to a handful of social media accounts, but checking analytics is key. Monitoring your progress will help you figure out what’s working and what you need to adjust to move the needle forward.
Effective social media takes time. If you are like most business owners, your time is limited. Marketing companies like CONRIC PR & Marketing can be great resources to help your brand shine on social media. Give us a call for a complimentary consultation!