Recent trends show employers using the services of independent contractors and freelancers more frequently in today’s business world. While this choice offers many advantages, there are restrictions that could lead to IRS and legal entanglements for the employer if not properly followed. To help local businesses understand this issue and better protect themselves, the Above Board Chamber of Florida has assembled a group of expert panelists for this month’s luncheon seminars that will take place on Monday, May 10 in Naples and Thursday, May 13 in Fort Myers and online via Zoom.
By attending this seminar, “The Legal Differences and Tax Ramifications of Hiring an Employee vs. an Independent Contractor,” business leaders will learn guidelines to help determine whether hiring a new employee or using an independent contractor is best for their company’s needs. Our panel of experts will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of both, as well as the responsibilities of a business owner.
The panel will also review new and existing laws and explain the nuances involved when creating relationships with independent contractors. This seminar will help attendees better understand:
– the differences between an employee and an independent contractor;
– your rights and responsibilities as a business owner;
– what withholdings are needed for employees;
– the burden if you misclassify a worker or don’t correctly withhold or pay the required amounts;
– the degree of control the employer has– or doesn’t have– with employees and contractors; and
– how to protect you and your business from being fined and incurring tax penalties.
Naples panelists include:
- Patrick Neale, Attorney at Law/Owner, Patrick Neale & Associates,
- Karen Mosteller, Partner/Medical and Business Consultant at Markham Norton Mosteller Wright & Company, P.A. and
- Renee Thigpen, Chief Human Resources Officer, NCH Healthcare System.
Sponsored by Patrick Neale, Owner of Patrick Neale & Associates, and Karen Mosteller, Partner at Markham Norton Mosteller Wright & Company, P.A., the Naples seminar is Monday, May 10 from 11:30 to 1:00 at the Hilton Naples, located at 5111 Tamiami Trail N.
Fort Myers panelists include:
- Tracy Pyles, Senior Managing Attorney at Lee Health,
- Kevin Ruane, Lee County Commissioner and President of Castleton Mortgage,
- Mindy LaCroix, President of Minette L. La Croix, CPA PA and
- Suzanne M. Boy, Esq., Founding Member at Boy Agnew Potanovic, PLLC.
The Fort Myers event is sponsored by Tom Holmlund, President of Acarté Technology, and Kevin Ruane, Lee County Commissioner and President of Castleton Mortgage. It will be held Thursday, May 13 from 11:30 to 1:00 at the Crowne Plaza Bell Tower (13051 Bell Tower Drive).
Jeanne Sweeney, CEO/Founder of the Above Board Chamber of Florida, will emcee both seminars.
Events can be attended in person or via Zoom. In-person registration for either seminar is $33 for members and $35 for non-members. Zoom registration for either seminar is $10 regardless of chamber membership.
To register for the meetings, please go to: AboveBoardChamber.com.